Lots of people around the world are now stuck in their houses, feeling trapped and bored. What can they do?
- Learn a new language
- Learn to play a musical instrument
- Take up juggling
- Make their way through the contents of their drinks cupboard
- Read some new books
Of these, the last may well end up being the most attractiveand productive option to many. Reading a book takes you out of yourself, and helps you forget the world outside, bleak and depressing though it may be.
With that in mind, I have participated in Smashwords’ Authors Give Back sale. All my books (EPUB format) are now offered at 60% off their usual price. Some are now free. This sale lasts from 20 March to 20 April, and the reduced pricing should be echoed throughout Kobo, iBooks, etc. and the other places where Smashwords titles are sold.
Have a look at my page, and pick up some ebooks to while away the time. As well as my books, I recommend Jim McGrath’s police stories set in 1960s Birmingham and the Black Country (warning – contain adult themes, descriptions of violence and strong language).
Click here for more about all these titles.
What about my Kindle?
Good question. Since Amazon have a proprietary lockdown attitude towards their hardware, something needs to be done here.
- Long-term solution: Let Amazon know that the title you want is on sale cheaper elsewhere – send them the link. It will take some time for the results to show up – like any large river, Amazon tends to be rather sluggish.
- Short-term solution: Try one of the services and programs that convert EPUB to MOBI, allowing you to sideload onto your Kindle.
- Longer-term solution: Wait for me to recompile all my Smashwords books as Kindle-compatible (warning: this may not happen, depending on circumstances over which I have little or no control)
But wait, there’s more…
… bonus time – the audiobook reading of Sherlock Ferret and the Phantom Photographer is now down to £1.50 from £8. An hour’s worth of entertainment for the younger members of your family.